I’ve no idea what I’m doing, but it’s working. I spam every ability at my disposal, not quite sure what they do, but I must be doing something right when a sea of pink foam cascades from my weapon across the map floor, combining with the other patchwork pockets of blue and pink bubbles. My suds have engulfed a player on the blue team, so I whip out my surfboard and ride the effervescent waves up to them hoping to land a devastating smack that will take them out. I would look over my shoulder to see which poor journalist I just battered, but Foamstars is too fast-paced for those sorts of shenanigans. I’m quickly back on my board, looking for my next frothy victim.

I didn’t have high hopes for Foamstars following its reveal earlier this year. Comparisons to Splatoon dominated the conversation around Square Enix’s party shooter, and its general ‘foam party’ vibes made my over 30 bones creak.

0 Comments